Please see the latest communication from the ECB detailed below, regarding Safeguarding measures for Club Welfare Officer training and the online ECB DBS verification process:
ECB Safeguarding team have recognised some challenges you may be facing, due to the important restrictions implemented by the government. We have put in place a couple of immediate changes to support you.
Following the cancellation of all Safe Hands courses, we will be introducing an interim training package to everyone that needs it. Full details will be shared through County Welfare Officers. We will ensure it is accessible and provide the knowledge required to keep clubs safe for all. Ongoing Safeguarding support will remain in place through our safeguarding team.
Disclosure and Barring Service Checks
We have had to make changes to our standard practice, the following link is government guidance on the temporary changes put in place https://www.gov.uk/government/news/covid-19-changes-to-dbs-id-checking-guidelines
The ECB will be following this guidance.
- Anyone with a DBS Certificate issued with content will now be asked to email their certificate to firstname.lastname@example.org instead of posting
- Anyone requested to submit an overseas certificate of good conduct will be asked to email their certificate to email@example.com instead of posting
- Access has been restricted for ID verification to the top levels of access: ECB Staff / Regional Users / Primary County-Wide Users / Secondary County-Wide Users (which would include all County Welfare Officers & their deputies / Regional Programme Execs / City Programme Execs
- ID Verification will now be supported via video conferencing instead of Face to Face meetings
All of these are temporary changes in process and as soon as is viable, standard business practices will be re-introduced.
Please see below for the full information regarding carrying out DBS Video ID Meetings.
DBS Video ID Verification Meetings:
COVID-19: Due to the current situation access has been restricted to our DBS application system for ID verification to the top levels of access:
ECB Staff / Regional Users / Primary County-Wide Users / Secondary County-Wide Users (which would include all County Welfare Officers & their deputies / Regional Programme Execs / City Programme Execs.
We have temporarily introduced a change to the ID verification part of the application to allow these to be actioned via a video call as opposed to the standard Face to Face Meeting.
If you are able, we would appreciate your support in carrying these out until such a time that the service can resume to standard practice.
We fully appreciate that you may not be able to support any or all verification requests so please do not feel this is compulsory. You will just need to decline any requests you receive via the portal.
Important steps for the ID verification meeting:
- Ensure the applicant has emailed over copies of their 3 ID documents prior to the meeting
- Ensure you have their application reference number
- Check that the application is in their Full Legal Name (as appears on birth certificate/passport etc)
- Check if the applicants is a volunteer or paid role and that their application has been set up accordingly
- Once logged in, work through the steps presented to you to confirm the ID.
- At each stage, ask the applicant to hold up to the screen the original photo ID document to compare likeness of the photo to the person you are verifying.
- Please ensure that you delete / destroy and documents that are emailed to you
If you incur any issues with the application verification, then please seek support from firstname.lastname@example.org
If you require any information or guidance around the Safeguarding process please contact email@example.com.